Tuesday 13 September 2011

DVD Releases for September 13, 2011

Time to take a look at a selection of DVD releases for Tuesday September 13, 2011! It's a very TV heavy week as we head on into the fall season. But we also have my favourite superhero movie of the year....

  • Thor This superhero/comic book film is easily one of my favourite of the year, and not just because Chris Hemsworth is easy on the eyes (which he is), but also give a pitch perfect performance in an action/adventure film which walks beautifully on the lines of high fantasy and current day realism, all with a sense of humour and a lot of heart.
  • Incendies Multiple award winner Canadian film that is deserving of all the accolades it gets, and then some. A dark family drama from director Denis Villeneuve, based on the play Scorched by Wadji Mouawad. Brillant storytelling, although sometimes I found it almost too painful to watch.
  • The Trip I'm really curious to see this film starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon semi-as-themselves in a comedy/improvised tour reviewing restaurants in the North of England (US release date: October 11, 2011).
  • 13 Assassins I've heard such great things about this samurai film from Takashi Miike but I keep on missing it! No theatrical release here in Toronto, missed the special screenings and it is coming out on DVD during the TIFF makes me 0/3 on possible attempts. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it soon.
  • Star Wars BluRays - The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI), The Original Trilogy (Ep IV-VI) and The Prequel Trilogy (Ep I-III) I thought this was already out considering people have been talking about the changes for weeks already! I am amazed by how many editions and reissues they have of these, I'm just happy to have all of the original trilogy on un-remastered VHS goodness (release date is Friday Sept 16, 2011).
  • The People vs. George Lucas Documentary centred on Star Wars fan, and smart timing with the release to the Complete Saga on BluRay (US release date: October 25, 2011).
  • The Tempest I really want to see Julie Taymor's take on with this Shakespearean adaptation starring Helen Mirren as Prospera alongside with such a spectacular cast: Djimon Hounsou (Gladiator, Blood Diamond), Ben Whishaw (Bright Star) Alfred Molina, Chris Cooper, David Strathairn, Alan Cummings and Felicity Jones. It released very late in 2010 and I didn't end up seeing it in the theatre even though it was part of my Most Anticipated Films of 2010.
  • Meeks Cutoff I've only heard good things about the period set western following the tough life of settlers in 1845 and stars Michelle Williams and directed by Kelly Reichardt (update: Canadian release date: September 20, 2011).
  • The Tree A family drama set in Australia starring Charlotte Gainsbourg and based on the novel Our Father Who Art in the Tree by Judy Pascoe hits DVD just 2 months after it's theatrical release.
  • Potiche the French comedy from director François Ozon based on the play of the same name by Pierre Barillet and Jean-Pierre Grédy set in 1977 and stars Catherine Deneuve as a submissive wife aka the translated title of Trophy Wife.
  • YSL: L'Amour Fou I really want to see this one, it's a documentary centred on fashion designer Yves Saint-Laurent and his ex-lover Pierre Berge (US release date: Sept 27, 2011).
  • Bill Cunningham New York 2 fashion docs in one week? Sounds good to me, this one focuses on New York Times photographer Bill Cunningham.
  • Citizen Kane Ultimate Collector's Edition, 70th Anniversary It kind of freaks me out that a film, any film, can have a 70th anniversary and Citizen Kane is easily 'one of those you just have to see', and is definitely one of the most influential films out there.
  • Supernatural: The Complete Sixth Season Start up the Impala and kick it into high gear! If you need to catch up for Season 7 on September 23, 2011 I suggest you start now and see the continued crazy adventures of Sam & Dean Winchester.
  • Camelot I'm actually really curious about the Arthurian adaptation starring Jamie Campbell Bower as a very young Arthur alongside Joseph Fiennes and Eva Green which ran for 10 episodes. This Starz series aired in the winter in the States but I think it's *just* about to start on CBC up here. They aren't doing additional seasons, so if you want to see it all in on go then DVDs are a great way to play.
  • Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, a 6 episode miniseries starring Dustin Clare, Lucy Lawless, John Hannah, Peter Mensah & Manu Bennett and serves as a prequel to Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
  • Sanctuary - Season 3 I'm so surprized I never watched Sanctuary - it's got extraordinary creatures, action, is science-y and Canadian to boot! I must catch up with it someday!
  • Glee: Season 2 I'm shocked I feel off the Glee wagon and missed all of Season 2, although I didn't hear the best things about it. Still would love to see it, misfits singing is kind of a new current classic thing.

Titles on Amazon.ca(Canada):


Titles on Amazon.com (US):

No comments:

Post a Comment