Monday 9 January 2012

DVD Releases for January 10, 2012

Time to take a look at a selection of DVD releases for Tuesday January 10, 2012!

  • Brighton Rock (DVD Review) I'm so excited to see that our November 2011 Movie Moxie Book to Film Club selection is not hitting DVD for everyone to be able to enjoy and get a chance to see. It's based on the classic Graham Greene novel which a time period switch up from the 30's to the 60's and stars Sam Riley in the lead as Pinky and also start Helen Mirren, Andrea Riseborough and John Hurt. DVD Extras include featurettes, interviews & more.
  • The Tempest (BluRay+DVD Combo Pack Review) Julie Taymor's visually stunning take on the Shakespearean play and this one has been on my to see list for 2 years now! I actually read the play in 2010 in anticipation for this adaptation (and I barely understood it from reading). It's a really gorgeous film and I loved the shift of making Prospero to Prospera played by Helen Mirren. Unfortunately it's a bit uneven in terms of the performances, but there certainly are gems in there like the formidable David Strathairn and always cunning Alan Cumming.
  • Sinners and Saints I absolutely can not wait to get my hands on this cop action/thriller starring Johnny Strong, Sean Patrick Flanery (The Boondock Saints), Tom Berenger and directed by William Kaufman. Looks like a whole lot of awesome. Update - it *is* awesome... see my DVD review here.
  • Higher Ground Vera Farmiga's directorial debut where she also stars in the lead role following a woman who struggles on the road of faith. This one really stuck with me when I watched it last year in the theatre, it's not very often we hear this story told and I really valued the bravery it took to put it on screen. The film is based on the memoir This Dark World: A Story of Faith Found and Lost by Carolyn Briggs.
  • Killer Elite action film that stars Jason Statham, Clive Owen, Yvonne Strahovski, Robert De Niro and Dominic Purcell, and is based on book (although there is a bit of controversy to it on whether it's based on true events or not) that it follows 4 soldiers who are a hit squad known as "The Clinic". I very surprized I didn't see this one in the theatre, it's totally up my alley
  • Fish Story / Fisshu sutôrî I'm thrilled to see this amazing Japanese verge-of-apocolypse film hit DVD for people to enjoy. I saw it at Reel Asian a few years ago and it was a complete treat of quirky, awesome goodness. I highly recommend checking it out, and I LOVE the title song (listen here).
  • 1911 Historical epic starring & directed by Jackie Chan, also starring Bingbing Li.
  • Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption I've seen so much promotion for this film I'm actually starting to want to see it, and heck - it's sword & sandals which is usually well more than enough to get me interested. It stars Victor Webster and Ron Perlman.
  • Gurozuka It's the first I've heard of this one but it's frm The Asian Cult Cinema Collection and that sounds like a freaking good start. As does the tag line: For these Girls, death is the only escape.
  • Hawaii Five-O: The Complete Original Series (Season 1 - 12) I know I must have watched the original series as a kid but I don't actually remember it, although it looks like bucket loads of fun. Now each and every season is available together at last.
  • Moneyball Based on a true story baseball flick starring Brad Pitt and this one actually has a lot of Shannon tick boxes from being a sport film, to looking very inspirational (although I think it's unconventional sport flick which makes me think there is a twist there) and it's also based on a non-fiction book. I definitely will get to this one some time.
  • What's Your Number based on book 20 Times a Lady by Karyn Bosnak and follows a woman's journey as she looks back at her past 20 relationships to see if any of them could have been "The One". Stars Anna Faris & Chris Evans.

Titles on Amazon.ca(Canada):



Titles on Amazon.com (US):

No comments:

Post a Comment