Tuesday 14 February 2012

2-Headed Shark Attack (DVD Review)

Photobucket

Dir: Christopher Ray (Almighty Thor, Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus)
Cast: Charlie O'Connell, Brooke Hogan, Gerald Webb, Ashley Bissing, Carmen Electra
USA, 2012 (DVD Release)

Reason to see: Shark Movie! B-Movie! I'm in!

Oh my goodness, 2-Headed Shark Attack was a lot of fun. I have a weird love of shark films that I don’t actually understand, but hey … we don’t need to understand the why of the things we enjoy. The not needing to understand is a good primer to work with and gauge you likely enjoyment of 2-Headed Shark Attack, because it quite literally is about a 2 Headed Shark attacking nouns of all kinds (people, places & things), as often as it can. As you can imagine from the idea it is quite ridiculous, but it’s ridiculous in a good way, running with the crazy concept and setting up for lots of 2-for-1 chomping action.

2-Headed Shark Attack follows a lot of the ear marks of great B Movies and it gets away with more gore and nudity being a DVD over a TV film. The acting isn’t great, but for a B Movie it doesn’t have to but, although the scenarios and effects definitely are good B Movie standby quality. The logic, location and scenarios are just as ridiculous as you want them to be for a fun B movie and at times it went even more crazy that I could have imagined. I loved that they really went with the spirit of the crazy premise as almost self-explanatory and didn’t try to pull the ‘let’s tell the science of it’ card. In terms of tone though, I wish that it would have gone either a little bit more campy or serious to continue to give it that over the top or ironic/self-awareness feel. There is definitely self awareness with some of the actors though, as I would even go as far to say at times there was more prancing than acting. However, given the water locale and sunbeam theme, this is often expected and it could easily be that is a strong draw for the audience. I do have to give them credit that we did get some gender balance as we had at least had 1 super-buff guy and 1 very strong willed woman that did balance things out a bit more than many beach films. In fact, I was quite taken with Kate (Brooke Hogan), who was very action-oriented, stepped up and took charge really diving into the thick of things. Oh man, that wasn't even meant to be a pun. Overall, I did enjoy watching 2-Headed Shark Attack and I definitely recommend it for any B movie fan.

2-Headed Shark Attack is available on DVD as of January 31, 2012. Check it out over at Amazon.ca & Amazon.com

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I'll watch it again
I'd definitely recommend it to B-movie fans & shark film fans

Return to Film Reviews or see more DVD Reviews

Also check out my review of 2-Headed Shark Attack on Episode 60 of the Movie Moxie Podcast.
Photobucket

AND! my guest co-hosting on The Saturday B-Movie Reel to chat about 2-Headed Shark Attack on an edition of 'Could B Syfy' with host Kevin Bachelder and fellow co-host & shark film enthusiast Jeff Long from The B-Movie Shelf:


Photobucket

© Shannon Ridler, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment