Wednesday 10 August 2011

Another Earth

Photobucket



Dir: Mike Cahill (Boxers and Ballerinas)

Cast: Brit Marling, William Mapother, Jordan Baker, Robin Lord Taylor, Flint Beverage

USA, 2011



Seen: August 2, 2011 at the Varsity



Reason to see: I was captivated by the poster



Another Earth is a film I went into not knowing much about it other than it's science fiction with a female protagonist, and by the title ... that there was another earth. That's well more than enough to get me interested and if it piques your interest I'll say it plainly: Just go see it.



If you need more convincing, it's an emotionally-driven science fiction that is more character focused than about the how's or the why's. The wild thing is, it feels like it isn't so much about the conceptual science fiction idea as it's set in a very everyday setting, but that curious pondering of what is that? and how could this be? and what if? are every present throughout the film.



It was darker than I expected and has the feeling of a weight to it that is steady and not so heavy that you can't bear it but heavy enough that you can't shake it, like carrying around something you didn't mean to at the bottom of your bag. You can do it, but you might not even know that it's there being carried from place, to place to place. I think the film is really brave to keeping that weight present, through the mundane daily life or through the more challenging act of trying to connect with people. The emotional resonance of the film permeates through the screen, connecting directly with the audience which I found astounding.



Another Earth has a beautiful, brave story that features unique characters who are emotionally raw yet very accessible. A powerful film that I would highly recommend.



Shannon's Overall View:

I loved it

I can't wait to see it again

I highly recommend it if you enjoy emotionally-driven science fiction



Also see: All 2011 Films Reviewed and All Film Reviews



© Shannon Ridler, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment