Wednesday 3 August 2011

Looking Back, Looking Forward: The Best Films of 2011 (so far)

Photobucket
Above: Movie Moxie's List of Best Films of 2011 (so far)

It's no secret that I loved list. Film lists, to do lists, grocery lists (okay.. that's uber practical..), goal lists... lists are awesome. You can check things off lists, highlight them, disagree with ranking or nod along in agreement.

I usually do a mid-year check in list of films that I'm loved and the ones I'm looking foward to in the future. At the end of 2010 I switched things up a bit with The Perfect List of films that I literally feel achieve perfection. So, I naturally thought my mid-year check in would be of those perfect films. But then something along the way happened. More specifically The Adjustment Bureau and totally messed up my whole perfection thing because... it wasn't perfect. I love it to pieces, but it wasn't perfect. What's a film lover to do? Whelp. Fix the problem of course with not one list but two. First I have my list the 10 Best Films of 2011 (so far) and then I have my 10 Favourite Films of 2011 (so far), because as much as I can acknowledge and appreciate perfection (and I really do), the experience of enjoying a film can be just as, if not more, powerful. After thinking about it I decided I wanted to acknowledge and celebrate both types of cinematic achievement. There is similar in titles with 6 out of 10 films grace *both* lists, although rankings are rather topsy-turvy.

Movie Moxie's List of Best Films of 2011 (so far)
1. The Tree of Life
2. Small Town Murder Songs
3. Four Lions
4. The Topp Twins: Untouchable Girls
5. Incendies
6. In a Better World / Hævnen
7. Jane Eyre (2011)
8. The Adjustment Bureau
9. Thor
10. Super 8

LinkPhotobucket
Above: Movie Moxie's List of Favourite Films of 2011 (so far)

Movie Moxie's List of Favourite Films of 2011 (so far)
1. The Adjustment Bureau
2. The Tree of Life
3. Rubber
4. Soul Surfer
5. Thor
6. The Topp Twins: Untouchable Girls
7. Jane Eyre (2011)
8. Super 8
9. I Am Number Four
10. Country Strong

Please note these lists were created before seeing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Source Code or Kung Fu Panda 2. I'm not sure exactly where those would fall in my lists, but there is a strong possibility they would have made the cut, especially Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. Titles that qualified for consideration to this list are films that had a theatrical release in Toronto during the 2011 calender year.

Building Anticipation for the Rest of 2011!

I'm surprized at how few of the titles are aligned to my Most Anticipated Films of 2011 List, but you never know how films will turn out until you see them! To complete this mid-year cycle I'm adding a handful of new titles to the anticipated list, and again I'm surprized that it's only 5 titles as usually it's a good set of 15-20. Even when you keep patterns in place, you never know where your interests and energy will land! Here are the five will become added grace to the original list:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
I, like many, wasn't a huge fan of the recent Planet of the Apes reboot and with that I pretty much wrote off this new version until I saw the trailer, and I was captivated. It looks like there really is an interesting story and moral question in there. Cast includes James Franco, Freida Pinto, John Lithgow, Brian Cox, Tom Felton and Andy Serkis, and it's directed by Rupert Wyatt (The Escapist).
Release date: August 5, 2011

One Day
This is earnestly a recommendation that started though the power of Twitter. I was looking to fill the last spot for 2011 for the Book to Film Club, and was instantly won over by the idea of seeing two peoples lives and relationship unfolded by seeing them 1 day a year over many years. I loved the idea and I simply adored the book. I think the casting of Anne Hathaway (Devil Wears Prada, Rachel Getting Married) and Jim Sturgess (Across the Universe, Heartless), is simply perfect. Directed by Lone Scherfig (An Education).
Release date: August 19, 2011

The Help
Another Book to Film Club Selection that won me over, this one based on the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett, this one is set in Mississippi during the early 1960s the centred on unlikely friendships and courageous women. Stars Emma Stone (Paper Man), Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer, Directed by Tate Taylor (Pretty Ugly People).
Release date: August 10, 2011

Anonymous
I'm feeling super literary here with almost all my additions being book released, and this one is close to as it looks at the questioning of who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare. Stars Jamie Campbell Bower, Rhys Ifans, Vanessa Redgrave and David Thewlis, and directed by Roland Emmerich.
Release date: September 30, 2011

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
I was semi interested in this John le Carré novel adaptation until the trailer. At that point I was glad I decided not to read the book as it's clear it's a mystery, and I can't wait to see it unfold (and hopefully solved) by lead actor Gary Oldman. Also stars Colin Firth (The King's Speech) and Tom Hardy (Bronson) from director Tomas Alfredson (Let the Right One In / Låt den rätte komma in).
Release date: November 18, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment